With wine as the centerpiece, Vinotecca is slated to open on Jan. 26 in its new location in downtown Birmingham! Offering wine education and fun in a non-intimidating way for the novice while also presenting a higher-level experience for the aficionado, the original Vinotecca concept, which the Jonna Family of Restaurants brought to Royal Oak in 2005, is modernized as it celebrates the artistry of wine and food while adding music in a swanky intimate environment.
The Jonna Family of Restaurants announced in October that it would convert The Bird and The Bread into a restyled version if its original Vinotecca wine bar which converted to a Jolly Pumpkin in August 2017.
Vinotecca will be open for dinner Tuesday through Sunday and brunch on Saturday and Sunday and offer ongoing wine education and live music and comedy events. Brunch begins Saturday, Feb. 3.
The new restaurant will feature a wine bar, a small plates menu and world cuisine along with a live musical emphasis on jazz and blues. The adjoining special events banquet area, The ELM Room, will offer the ongoing entertainment it has been known for as part of The Bird and The Bread with concerts, comedy shows, and singer-songwriter events, and is available for private parties for up to 300 guests.
The upcoming entertainment schedule includes comedy shows, singer songwriter events, as well as a live music lineup Thursday through Saturday.
Live music plays Thursdays, 7 – 10 p.m. and Fridays/Saturdays, 8 – 11 p.m.
- January 26-27 – Ramo World Jazz Trio with singer Heidi Hepler
- February 1 – Sean Z Trio (blues/funk)
- February 2-3 – Bill Meyer “Jazz Piano Trio”
- February 7 – Bluewater Kings Showcase
- February 8 – Jimmy Smith Trio (jazz), Singer Songwriter Event in the Elm
- February 9-10 – Michele Ramo “Jazz Violin Trio”
- February 14 – Valentine’s Day, special menu and music tbd
- February 15 – Theo Gridiron & Friends (blues/funk)
- February 16 – 10th Annual Vino Value Wine Tasting
- February 16-17 – Cary Kocher “Jazz Vibraphone Trio”
- February 22 – Straight Rye (trio) (funk/jazz)
- February 23-24 – Ramo World Jazz Trio with singer Heidi Hepler
- March 1 – Sam Van Wagoner Trio
- March 8 – Adam Plomaritas Trio (blues/jazz), Singer Songwriter Event in the Elm
- March 15 – Dean Haddad Trio (jazz)
- March 18 – Blue Water Kings Showcase
- March 22 – Theo Gridiron & Friends (blues/funk)
- March 29 – Jimmy Smith Trio (jazz)
As leaders in the wine, cuisine, and entertainment field, the father-daughter team behind Vinotecca will share their years of study and expertise to provide a stress-free and educational culinary dining experience. As a sommelier, cheese expert, restaurant owner and world traveler, John Jonna has been in the wine business for over 40 years and along with his daughter Kristin, who also has an extensive background in the wine industry and is a certified specialist of wine, their wide-ranging knowledge is showcased through Vinotecca as it is in Vinology, the sister restaurant in Ann Arbor.
Vinotecca’s wine cellar features a wide range of both comfortable and eclectic selections at all price points. The wine list will rotate very often and rare wine pourings that normally wouldn’t be available will be offered due to a specialized coravin system which allows the pouring of wine by the glass without pulling the cork. Wine and cocktails are also on tap along with some fun plays – such as frosé, a housemade frozen rosé wine cocktail. While wine is the focus at Vinotecca, a full bar and wide selection of craft beer will also be available.
Executive Chef Adam Galloway has designed a wine-friendly world cuisine menu to create both classic and modern wine pairings. Vinotecca will mirror cuisine offered at Vinology. Suggested wine and food pairings will be presented on the menu as well as interactively through the innovative and environmentally-friendly tablet wine list.
To receive the Vinotecca newsletter, please email your name and email address to Info@thebirdandthebread.com with “newsletter” in the subject line.